I wrote my first post for this blog on my first day in Hungary. To bring things to a full-circle conclusion, I am writing this post, on my bed in my room, on my last day in Hungary.
It's hard to believe. It honestly doesn't seem real. I've (mostly) packed, I've said some goodbyes, I've cleaned, and I've been thinking about this final day for weeks. But now that it's here, I cannot quite comprehend it. I've been living here for the past 4 months, so who's to say that I won't be here tomorrow? This is my life now, but it's all changing tonight at 3:30am. 13 hours from now.
What do you do with a last day? Try to go back to as many places as you can that you loved? Find somewhere new and have one last adventure? I don't know. Like I said: It doesn't seem real.
I went to my street's cafe this morning, swam at the baths with some girls, ate at my favorite soup shop for lunch, and we're going to go out for dinner in the city this evening after packing up this afternoon. Only good things on our last day in Budapest.
I can't quite discern right now how I've changed or what I've learned. I think those things will come with time. So I don't quite have a conclusive ending to this adventure right now. But, in a way, there really shouldn't be an ending, should there? Whatever I've taken from this semester should carry on through my life. I know I'm going to be sentimental and emotional for a while, but I think that there is some merit to maintaining the feeling and perspective I gained on this semester. Either way, it's been a crazy adventure, taking me through Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Romania, Italy, Ireland, Poland, and Belgium. But Budapest will always be one of my homes.
Monday, December 17, 2012
Thursday, December 13, 2012
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
One week from right now, I will be preparing to leave Hungary the next morning. 3am in the morning, specifically. In honor of these next 8 days left in Hungary (becuase I'm counting Wednesday), I'm going to list 8 things that I am doing/thinking/feeling/loving/avoiding.
1. I am sitting on my bed with my roommate, side by side, working quietly.
2. I am studying for my last final exam: Global Health. You want to know about NCDs, MDGs, TB, or WHO? I can tell you.
3. I am listening to Bradley Hathaway, Sufjan Stevens, and Belle and Sebastian.
4. I am not shaving my legs for the rest of the time here. Not worth it.
5. I am getting excited for the 2 Christmas parties coming up this week. Cookies, sweaters, presents, and friends.
6. I am not organizing any of my stuff. Some people are starting to sort clothes, but I am thinking I'll leave that for Tuesday.
7. I am buying tickets to go to the midnight showing of The Hobbit tomorrow night. Subtitles here we come!
8. I am contently, sentimentally, and greatly enjoying myself in good old Budapest.
(P.S. If the picture looks familiar, that's because I posted a picture of this tram stop before, back in the fall. It's changed to be bare and snowy now.)
Sunday, December 9, 2012
Monday, December 3, 2012
I went back up Castle Hill with my visitors this weekend to show them around. I was actually pretty excited to go, because I haven't been up there to just look around since the beginning of the semester.
It's December, so I decided it was high time I took a tour of the parliament building in Budapest. It is stunning on the outside, so I couldn't leave Hungary without seeing the inside. I went with my 2 visiting friends, and 2 other people from my trip, and we braved the cold December morning at 8am to stand in line for tickets. It was all worth it, though! It was even prettier than I thought it would be.